Case study:Barking Creek near A13
To discuss or comment on this case study, please use the discussion page.
- 1 Project overview
- 2 Image gallery
- 3 Catchment and subcatchment
- 4 Site
- 5 Project background
- 6 Reasons for river restoration
- 7 Measures
- 8 Monitoring
- 9 Additional documents and videos
- 10 Additional links and references
- 11 Supplementary Information
|Project web site|
|Themes||Flood risk management, Habitat and biodiversity, Hydromorphology, Social benefits, Urban|
|Main contact forename||Toni|
|Main contact surname||Scarr|
|Main contact user ID||User:Ascarr|
|Contact organisation||Environment Agency|
|Contact organisation web site||http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk|
|Parent multi-site project|
| This is a parent project
encompassing the following
Previous site use/issues
- Terrestrial habitat with rank grassland and species poor scrubland.
- Plot of adjacent to Barking Creek, accessible by informal and underused riverside footpath.
- Blind spots within site (formed by sections of redundant fencing) lead to a raised ‘fear of crime’.
- Riverside footpath not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Concrete flood defence in poor condition needing replacing.
- Retreat and renewal of flood defences adapting to climate change by creating increased flood storage capacity and improved riverside and intertidal habitat. Reed bunting and sand martins have been seen in this area.
- Sand martin nesting tubes.
- Improved footpath, suitable for wheelchairs.
- Blind spots remove and the site opened up although reeds allowed establish to help protect the wildlife on the river.
Monitoring surveys and results
Catchment and subcatchment
Select a catchment/subcatchment
Other case studies in this subcatchment: Barking Creekmouth, Chambers Wharf, Cuckolds Haven Nature Area, Greenwich Peninsula, Lower River Roding Regeneration Project, Mill Pool, Saving Chiswick Eyot, Wandsworth Riverside Quarter
Cost for project phases
Reasons for river restoration
Hydromorphological quality elements
Biological quality elements
Physico-chemical quality elements
Additional documents and videos