Case study:Mill Pool
To discuss or comment on this case study, please use the discussion page.
- 1 Project overview
- 2 Image gallery
- 3 Catchment and subcatchment
- 4 Site
- 5 Project background
- 6 Reasons for river restoration
- 7 Measures
- 8 Monitoring
- 9 Additional documents and videos
- 10 Additional links and references
- 11 Supplementary Information
|Project web site|
|Themes||Habitat and biodiversity, Social benefits, Urban|
|Main contact forename||Toni|
|Main contact surname||Scarr|
|Main contact user ID||User:Ascarr|
|Contact organisation||Environment Agency|
|Contact organisation web site||http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk|
|Parent multi-site project|
| This is a parent project
encompassing the following
Previous site use/issues
- There was poor riverside habitat as the site was formed of concrete banks and concrete revetment. The site is above a tidal barrier but does receive tidal variations on spring tides.
- The seating area on the edge of Mill Pool and the River Roding was largely redundant and unused.
- The design of the site limits the views from the site.
- The site did not convey any understanding about historic importance of the Mill Pool to Barking.
- ’Terracing’ of existing concrete riverbank to create intertidal habitat. The terraces are back filled with an appropriate gravel substrate and clad with timber sourced sustainably.
- Redesign of riverside seating area to improve outlook and convey information about historic importance of the Mill Pool.
- Worked in collaboration with local authority and local artist to produce seating area design.
Monitoring surveys and results
Catchment and subcatchment
Select a catchment/subcatchment
Other case studies in this subcatchment: Barking Creek near A13, Barking Creekmouth, Chambers Wharf, Cuckolds Haven Nature Area, Greenwich Peninsula, Lower River Roding Regeneration Project, Saving Chiswick Eyot, Wandsworth Riverside Quarter
Cost for project phases
Reasons for river restoration
Hydromorphological quality elements
Biological quality elements
Physico-chemical quality elements
Additional documents and videos